1. Home

More and More Smoking Bans

By May 6, 2008

We could post a story on this website almost every day about another new smoking ban taking effect somewhere, but that would get tiresome in a hurry. However, an occasional reference may be needed as a reminder that smoking bans are rapidly becoming more restrictive in more places, even in places custom made especially for smokers, the great outdoors, and private residences and vehicles, too. Most of these bans are aimed at cigarette smokers, but cigar and pipe smokers are also being affected. Take for example the ban on smoking pipes at a pipe smokers' convention in Illinois. This is the same state law that nixed Cigar Aficionado's Big Smoke in Chicago earlier this year. But wait, there's more. Boca Raton in South Florida has prohibited smoking at three major beach parks, and they are planning to ban smoking at even more outdoor places.

In Albuquerque, New Mexico, Larry Monte's cigar emporium is now the latest target for an antismoking zealot. And by the way, Larry Monte happens to be a big supporter of our Cigars For Troops Program. So let's ask a simple question, why would anyone want to ban cigar smoking in a place that was built just for cigar smokers? If you know the answer to that question, post it in the "comments" below.

Comments

May 6, 2008 at 8:30 am
(1) Justin says:

The answer to that is simple. The same people that never hunted or fished and want to end hunting and fishing. The type that think more and larger government is good for you. The same sort of people that think they know better than you how to run your life. The kind that think we’re all just a bunch of ignorant red-staters, clinging to guns and religion.

May 15, 2008 at 3:22 pm
(2) Chuck says:

We have become a “Nanny State”. People are too afraid to call BS on these socialists that want to control our everyday lives. When are “representatives” going to represent the people instead of running scared from special interests and their lawyers.

Thanks you Rob Reiner………..MYBIH

May 15, 2008 at 3:32 pm
(3) Jon says:

There is the publicly stated reason, which is really just pretextual BS, and then there is the real reason. The BS is that the bans protect employee and public health, and that the ban is part of occupational health and safety policy for workplaces. This is a policy justification, and legalistically allows politicians to step in to “protect” employees of smoking establishments, even if those employees do not want to be protected.

The real reason for the smoking bans is political correctness run amuck, and the political reality that state and local governments are run by elitist politicans who believe they know what is best for everyone, and who view themselves as having the right (and the power) to dictate how everyone else is supposed to live and breath.

May 15, 2008 at 3:49 pm
(4) John says:

Gary, interesting that you would throw in the tidbit about Monte being a big supporter of the troops, and now he’s having to fight for his business. Perhaps you were implying something? But remember, New Mexico is a blue state, after all.

May 16, 2008 at 1:01 am
(5) John says:

Where is our rage?
(WWII combat veteran)

May 18, 2008 at 2:41 pm
(6) Aaron says:

As a lifelong non-smoker, I’m all in favor of smoking bans. I’ve talked to enough ex-smokers who have told me they didn’t realize how annoying tobacco smoke is until they quit and their sense of smell and taste came back. Banning smoking at beach parks makes perfect sense. Ban smoking at all public outdoor places? Yes, it’s about time. But at a cigar store??? Even I think that’s completely ridiculous. The purpose of a smoking ban is to protect the health and comfort of people who choose not to inhale tobacco smoke — people like me. It is not reasonable to ask me to stay away from the beach, or from public parks, or Disneyland. But a cigar store? How many non-smokers are going to visit cigar stores? And even if someone who can’t stand the smell of cigar smoke wants to buy cigars for someone — which does seem a bit silly — they can always order them online. So while I think smoking bans are generally a good thing, I think reasonable exceptions are also important.

May 27, 2008 at 11:15 am
(7) Jeff says:

I’m 42 years old and my love for cigars started a year or two ago. Prior to that I was never a fan of second hand smoke outside (cigarett or cigar), but not once did I feel it was appropriate to ban either. In a closed space such as a bus or a plane, I don’t think it should be allowed. Open spaces are a different story. Banning smoke in spaces designated for cigars or pipes is rididculous. Public health as an excuse is a joke. The day the government bans CO2 emissions from our beloved automobile is the day I’ll stop smoking wherever I want. (I always ask anyone in close proximity if they mind however..I’m not a total @#$%&)

July 1, 2008 at 4:51 pm
(8) Idahoser says:

Voting for the lesser evil just guarantees next time, your choices will be more evil yet. We all know how bad Oboy will be, but we have to stop this insane ‘wish’ that McClown will be less socialist. The choice we’ll make this November is not “Socialist” or “Socialist Too”, the choice is, after the damage of the next four years, will there be a Republican Party that takes Conservatism to heart, or will “The Maverick” win and guarantee generations of more and more leftist “Republicans”?

If ever there had been a time to choose “none of the above” and a third party, this was it.

December 15, 2008 at 2:53 am
(9) Realist says:

The reason smoking is being unreasonably restricted has nothing to do with health. It has everything with pushing people around, training them to be pushed around even more, and feeling self-righteous in the process. It’s a nasty combination.